The Solar and Energy Innovation Committee (Solar Committee) was created by the Council of the Chilean Economic Development Agency (Corfo) with the aim of taking advantage of the country solar potential from new business and energy innovations, positioning Chile worldwide in this area resource of the Atacama Desert.
The Solar Committee is the government agency responsible for promoting the development of an innovation ecosystem associated with solar energy, through the design and implementation of projects, collaboration with a network of national and international actors, competitiveness, productivity, technological capabilities and markets of companies of the sector, taking advantage of the solar resource of the Atacama Desert to create a new wealth for Chile.
To be the main national reference in the field of solar energy, one that contributes to the creation of a new and dynamic economic sector and positions the country as a leading global player in the development of solar technology for desert regions.
The Committee’s main functions are:
- To support the implementation of the Solar Energy Program (PES)
- To articulate and/or manage initiatives for developing the Solar Industry, such as programs, strategic projects, studies, roadmaps, among others.
- To propose research and development lines about innovation and promotion of solar energy, cooperating in the coordination of solar energy research centers and supporting partnerships between industry and research centers.
- To support the formation of capacities for the development of solar energy in the country, acting as a catalyst for knowledge and technology transfer processes, fostering links of cooperation with universities and institutions that facilitate the training of professionals and technicians in subjects of their respective areas.
- To support the design of promotion, innovation and financing instruments aimed at fostering a local solar technology industry and services suppliers to the solar industry with an exporting vision.
- To monitor, evaluate and systematize the results of the promotion and innovation implemented instruments, especially those executed with public funds.
- To manage the consultations from public or private agents related to research programs, new projects, prototypes and solar energy-based solutions.